This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.858 / 51°51'28"N
Longitude: -4.3032 / 4°18'11"W
OS Eastings: 241483
OS Northings: 220217
OS Grid: SN414202
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T38D
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.CKDJ
Entry Name: Lychgate to St Peter's Churchyard
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9434
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated at NW entrance to churchyard.
Locality: Church Lane
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Church lychgate of 1879, erected as a memorial to Reverend Latimer M. Jones, vicar 1863-1877. The design, by Francis E Jones of London, was selected by competition. He had been for 11 years in the office of Sir G.G. Scott, and the design is a good piece of later Victorian Gothic. Fine iron gates by T. Jones & Son, Carmarthen. The builder was Thomas David of Laugharne.
Gabled Gothic lychgate in rock-faced squared red Runcorn sandstone, with ashlar dressings in same stone. Low raised plinth, pointed arch, ashlar-coped roof and Celtic cross finial. Low gabled buttresses at right angles each side. Arch has plain splayed sides with mouldings dying in, hoodmould with finial above and linked below to stringcourse. Another stringcourse over hoodmould under framed inscribed plaque in gable. Apex trefoil with arms of lion rampant. Lettering to plaque largely decayed, but commemorates Rev. Latimer Maurice Jones, and the erection of the lychgate by public subscription.
Elegant wrought iron gates within, rectangular grid with scrollwork and affixed LMJ plaques.
Inside, the ashlar roof has chamfered parallel ribs dying into sides, and rock-faced stone low walls.
E facade is similar but simpler with moulded arch dying into splayed side walls.
Included as an ornate and well designed Victorian Gothic work, of group value with the church.
Other nearby listed buildings