This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8557 / 51°51'20"N
Longitude: -4.3036 / 4°18'13"W
OS Eastings: 241447
OS Northings: 219970
OS Grid: SN414199
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T94T
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.CM67
Entry Name: Sections of Medieval Town Wall
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9442
Building Class: Defence
Location: Situated to rear of former District Council offices and Ivy Bush Hotel, Spilman Street.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Section of embanking wall on line of medieval town wall dating to 1415. The wall is visible in one section behind former District Council offices, interrupted by steps up to car park, then may extend behind outbuildings on Dan-y-banc known as the donkey stables and then is visible along back of small park opposite government building (Ty Myrddin), i.e. behind the Ivy Bush Hotel. A murage grant was given in 1233 to enclose a small area around the castle. After the Glyndwr uprising of 1403-5 when the town outside the walls was sacked and the castle surrendered a new murage grant was made in 1415 to repair the walls and enclose a larger area to the E including Spilman Street. A wall is shown on this line on John Speed map of 1610.
Rubble stone embankment walling of various dates and stones, incorporating some old red sandstone and many repairs. At SW end, to left of donkey stables in Dan-y-banc and below Carmarthen District Council Offices, a tall projection of retaining wall of red stone rises some 10m high, with double plinth and square holes. It may be of later date than the much lower long length of wall to rear of the Ivy Bush Hotel, above small garden.
Included as sections of embanking walling on line of medieval walls of Carmarthen, an important remnant of the medieval walled town.
Other nearby listed buildings