This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8563 / 51°51'22"N
Longitude: -4.3086 / 4°18'30"W
OS Eastings: 241111
OS Northings: 220046
OS Grid: SN411200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T7XR
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.8LLS
Entry Name: Carmarthen House
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9443
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated on junction with Mill Steet, attached to No 8 to left.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Locality: Dark Gate
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Town house probably of mid to later C18 date, much altered, now commercial premises. Once known as Gellingham House, it was described in will of Morgan Lewis and in advert for sale in 1812, and partly rebuilt in 1844 for Dr J.P. Watkins, though the lost interior features suggest the fabric remained mostly of C18 date. In 1914 occupied by Cash & Co, bootsellers, from 1959 Messrs Burgess jewellers in the ground floor, the shop extended to first floor in 1982, and all interior detail mentioned in 1981 listing lost.
A photograph of 1937 on premises shows that the house once had an eaves cornice and was of five bays, with windows in centre.
End terrace commercial premises. Painted stucco with close-eaved slate roof and left end stack, right stack removed since 1981. Three storeys, four bays. Two hipped sash dormers and moulded eaves cornice removed since 1981. Windows are grouped in pairs each side, (former central windows lost) 4-pane sashes to upper floors, square to top floor, set well below eaves. Thin sill band at second floor. Ground floor formerly 2 shopfronts, late C19 to early C20 to left, C20 to right, now all one late C20 . Windowless stuccoed end walls. Lower rear wing of 3 storeys and attic, with eaves roof. Two bays, set to centre right, 4-pane attic sash in centre under eaves, 2 12-pane horned sashes to second floor and one to first floor right. Blocked low door to ground floor right and narrow louvred window to right again.
Rear right of main building is rubble stone with altered window to each upper floor, brickwork between and above windows.
The interior listed in 1981 has been lost with possible exception of attic. The 1981 description listed: fielded 6-panel doors with L-hinges. C18 staircase in early to mid C18 London style with turned balusters, moulded rail and continuous pulvinated string from first floor to attic; dado panelling above wall string. In E second floor room, mid C18 fireplace with eared architrave. On first floor, W room with C18 cornice with modillions and dentils, late C19 fireplace with eared C18 overmantel, C18 cupboards in W wall incorporating semi-circular arched cupboard with shaped shelves. E room with C18 cornice. Attic in need of attention.
Included despite alterations since 1981 as remnant of a C18 town house of group value with Nos 8-9 Dark Gate.
Other nearby listed buildings