This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8602 / 51°51'36"N
Longitude: -4.316 / 4°18'57"W
OS Eastings: 240610
OS Northings: 220498
OS Grid: SN406204
Mapcode National: GBR DG.SS3S
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.4HNS
Entry Name: Fountain Hall
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9445
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated at northern end of Fountain Terrace just before and opposite junction with The Grove.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
House of C18 gentry origins, now subdivided. Owned in later C18 by Arthur Jones, barrister, and High Sheriff in 1759. He died in 1797, and the estate passed to Arthur and James Jones, his brother's sons. Arthur Jones died in 1836, and the estate was left to his 3 daughters. Marked on 1834 map and 1837 tithe map, then owned by Mary Ann Jones, occupied by John Griffiths. The property was advertised for sale in 1853. It was the home farm for The Grange estate in the early C20. Much altered in late C20 with erosion of detail.
In 1981 the upper floor (of the S range?) was of colourwashed brick with earlier C19 features, and ground floor of colourwashed rubble stone. N elevation had from left a blocked window opening, a doorway with pilasters, entablature, overlight 4-panes wide and C20 door, and 2 12-pane sash windows. E elevation had 12-pane sash to first floor left over modern door and canted full-height bay to right.
House, now subdivided. Late C20 roughcast cladding, with slate roofs. Two parallel ranges, much modernised.
S range along roadside is close-eaved, gable-ended, with small C20 brick E end stack and 3-window S side, all late C20 glazing, 3 square uPVC windows above, 2 triple casements and centre casement pair below. Roughcast end walls, door to ground floor right in E end wall. Window to first floor left in W end wall.
Parallel range to N has E hipped eaves roof and broad 2-storey canted bay, set to right. This has uPVC glazing to large former sash windows, with keystones, one window to ground floor, 3 above, and to left, a similar window with keystone over an altered doorway with window, all uPVC. N side has openings into first floor due to slope of ground, some keystones, otherwise all altered, left opening lost since 1981, then door and 2 windows.
Interior not available for inspection, said to be entirely altered in conversion to flats. In 1981 noted as having 6-panel doors in entrance hall and NW room, doorway with fanlight at SW end of hall.
Retained on list despite alterations as a C18 minor gentry house.
Other nearby listed buildings