This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8621 / 51°51'43"N
Longitude: -4.2937 / 4°17'37"W
OS Eastings: 242152
OS Northings: 220650
OS Grid: SN421206
Mapcode National: GBR DG.SZKB
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.JGFD
Entry Name: Former Upper Tin Mills
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9449
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Situated as main building in timber merchants yard some 150m down drive off Abbey Mead.
Locality: Furnace Bank
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Mid C19 former tin works sited on former Priory Mills, altered in C20, now building materials store. Carmarthen tinworks were started in 1761 by Robert Morgan of the adjacent iron works. The present building dates from c.1855-60 when part of the works was resited following the building of the S. Wales Railway. The works were burnt out in 1823, closed until 1831, marked as owned by W.H. Yelverton of Whitland Abbey on 1837 tithe map, burnt again, reopened under Wayne & Dunn 1844, and from 1865 rented to Thomas Lester, who ran them until they closed in 1900; they were dismantled in 1902. The building was then altered to plans by J.H. Morgan, in 1916. It was further altered c. 1977 during conversion to a timber mill.
Former tin mill now builders' merchants. Big triple-roofed shed incorporating parts of original double-roofed range. The NE gable ends, party wall and SW walls of rubble stone, are original, the former are raised with C20 concrete blocks. Roofs are all C20, NW parallel range is added and mostly rebuilt in C20. C20 triple roof of corrugated metal.
NE end has 3 broad low-roofed gables, the left 2 original, but eaves rebuilt in blockwork. Left gable has broad cambered-arched brick-headed entry, probably C20, and brick-framed arched window above. Middle shed has similar arched windows, 3 openings below and one above, the bricks quadrant-curved. Right shed is added and mostly of blockwork.
Side wall is extensively rebuilt in blockwork.
Party wall between the 2 principal sheds with series of semi-circular double-brick arches arranged with 2 large arches flanking four small ones, and two more small arches to right of second large arch. Some arches have chamfered surrounds. Series of round-arched openings also in outer wall of SE shed.
Included for industrial archaeological interest as remnant of a former tinplate works.
Other nearby listed buildings