This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.856 / 51°51'21"N
Longitude: -4.3074 / 4°18'26"W
OS Eastings: 241192
OS Northings: 220005
OS Grid: SN411200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T86X
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.9M72
Entry Name: No.17 Guildhall Square,,,,,dyfed,
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9454
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated opposite S side of Guildhall.
Locality: Guildhall Square
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Former Bull Inn, now eating house, in terraced row, probably mid C18, with earlier rear wing. Shown on T. Lewis map of 1786 and map of 1834. Inn through the C19, and in C20, The Old Bull Cafe. Mrs Anne Harries, dining rooms in 1926. The centre ground floor window replaces a doorway with door of 4 raised and fielded panels with 3 glazed lights above, replaced before 1981.
House now commercial premises, stuccoed with slate roof and stuccoed end chimneys. Two storeys, attic, and cellar, 3 bays. Attic windows break the eaves line with catslide roof and 4-pane sashes, only centre window aligned with those below. Rainwater head in left hand corner. Three first floor 12-pane sash windows, and two to ground floor left hand and centre (centre one wider and replacing a door), C20 shop front to right. Stucco plinth.
Rear wing in Bull Lane is heavily rendered but masks early features. Projection on right side of a lateral chimney breast, missing stack and massive rendered chimney breast on gable end also missing stack, listed as rubble stone in 1981.
Much altered inside, ground floor all late C20, staircase up left side wall probably not original, one first floor cased beam. Rear wing has pine roof trusses.
Included despite alterations as a surviving C18 building in the town centre - thus apparently predating the Georgian rebuilding of the town.
Other nearby listed buildings