This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8577 / 51°51'27"N
Longitude: -4.3036 / 4°18'13"W
OS Eastings: 241455
OS Northings: 220193
OS Grid: SN414201
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T356
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.CK6Q
Entry Name: No 25, including No 3 Conduit Lane
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9463
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated on E corner of Conduit Lane.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
House with chemist's shop below. Possibly rebuilt 1864, reusing older fabric. The building is similar to No 24 on other side of Conduit Lane. There was an inn called The Bacchus on the site, and it may occupy the site of the medieval White Gate. The sculptor David Mainwaring lived in King St 1804-26 possibly in this house, previously owned by John Davies of Glancorrwg. A newspaper report of 1863 refers to the rebuilding of a No 28 and says that the house had jutted forward on the projection of the old medieval White Gate, and the council had asked for the facade to be set back 2 ft (0.6m), but another of 1864 says that a fire had burnt No 25, on the site of the old gatehouse and a new house built. These may both refer to this building. The White Gate was demolished in 1792. The St Peter's Pharmacy was opened in 1869 by James Brigstocke, the business known as D. King Morgan since early C20.
Earlier C19 house; a pair with No 24. Unpainted render with slate gabled roof and flanking stacks. Three storeys, 3-bays with moulded paired brackets to eaves, raised plinth, and tripartite sash windows to outer bays of upper floors with narrow sash in middle, taller windows on 1st floor. Sashes have marginal glazing bars, centre windows with etched and coloured glass margins.
Later C19 shop front of 3 windows, one to left, one narrow one to centre paired with shop door and one immediately right, the middle one possibly replacing a door, each in casing of fluted pilasters (renewed in late C20) with overall fascia and cornice. Ceramic letters on fascia: 25 Dispensing Chemist 25, and plaque "St. Peter's Pharmacy Est. 1869". Slate-hung gable end to Conduit Lane.
Short length of iron railings in angle between No 25 and No 3 Conduit Lane: plain spearheads with C20 added row of rails above.
No 3 Conduit Lane is a low 2-storey range with C20 window each floor in end wall at right angles to end wall of No 25. To Conduit Lane, roughcast facade with close-eaved roof, one fixed 9-pane window with iron grille to left, panelled door to left of centre and C20 metal 6-pane casement on first floor right. Rebuilt brick chimney at right end.
Later C19 to early C20 pharmacist shop fittings inside. Glass-fronted and topped counters, glass-handled drawers and shelves behind counter possibly of mahogany. A half-glazed panelled door leads through to rest of house. Upper floors have plain, wide and uneven stairs, and the 2 main reception rooms have fire surrounds with ornate scrolled brackets to mantelpiece. Worn and uneven slate steps, probably pre C19 down to cellar, which is thought to retain traces of the White Gate of the medieval town, and even Roman cobbles beneath the slates, but little visible at time of resurvey.
In No 3, 4 fielded-panelled doors. Thin ceiling joists to ground floor.
Included with No 24 as one of a prominent pair of late Goergian style homes, and for the complete surviving C19 chemists shop.
Other nearby listed buildings