This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8579 / 51°51'28"N
Longitude: -4.3038 / 4°18'13"W
OS Eastings: 241445
OS Northings: 220210
OS Grid: SN414202
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T341
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.CK3L
Entry Name: No.32 King Street (Marquis of Granby P.h.),,,,,dyfed,
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9465
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated on corner of Little Water Street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Probably C18, former Marquis of Granby pub, altered in C19 and again in late C20. In 1884, David Bowen listed as publican, in 1914 and 1926 Mrs. Hannah Budge. Much renewed in late C20 with all external detail redone in rough facsimile of original. Closed as an inn in late C20, disused at time of resurvey.
Former public house, painted stucco with imitation slate close-eaved roof and rendered end stack. Two storeys, 3 irregular bays, one to left, 2 to right. Plinth. Late C20 glazing in original openings: 2 18-pane and one 12-pane sash to first floor, all of same size, (windows without glazing bars in 1981), ground floor 18-pane sash to left, set slightly further in than left window above, much altered shopfront to right with C20 fascia over door and broader opening, once a wide sash window, now with narrow sash and door, both openings with plain pilaster strips.
Right end wall to Little Water Street has large external chimney breast to gable end with a renewed 12-pane sash window to left and right on first floor and a blocked window on ground floor (in 1981, an attic window, one first floor window and door with overlight left of chimney are mentioned). To right are 2 lower, rear wings under single close-eaved roof. The first is 2-storey and has C20 horizontal-sliding casement window to right hand on first floor, and 2 unaligned blocked windows to ground floor. The second has 3 storeys, the facade slightly stepped forward, 2 widely-spaced bays with C20 windows on second floor under eaves, fixed windows with glazing bars on first floor and, on ground floor, a door to right (in 1981 there was also a blocked window to centre and blocked door to left).
Not available for inspection, ground floor said to be wholly altered.
Retained on list despite alterations as a possibly earlier C18 corner building. Group value.
Other nearby listed buildings