This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8578 / 51°51'28"N
Longitude: -4.3039 / 4°18'13"W
OS Eastings: 241439
OS Northings: 220202
OS Grid: SN414202
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T342
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.CK2N
Entry Name: Nos.33 & 34 King Street,,,,,dyfed,
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9466
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated some 5m from junction with Little Water Street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
House and shop possibly C18 and built as a pair with no 34, but facades altered in the late C19. A part of the medieval town wall of 1415 is incorporated into the cellar wall between Nos 33 and 34. Occupied in 1884 by Mrs. Emma Whitney, grocer and in 1914 and 1926 by Charles H Carpenter, bookseller and stationer. In 2002 a newsagents.
House and shop, 2 storeys, 2 bays with imitation slate close-eaved roof and red brick chimney to right. Painted C20 roughcast cladding, 4-pane horned sash windows on first floor and probably early 20 shop front on ground floor. Two 2-pane windows with central recessed half-glazed C20 door with overlight. Plain C20 casing.
In the cellar, accessible only from No 34 there is a wall of stone rubble running down the party wall, some 2.8m thick, on the line of the medieval town wall of which it probably forms a part.
Included as a simple late C19 commercial building with earlier origins and for the medieval wall in basement party wall. Group value.
Other nearby listed buildings