This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8574 / 51°51'26"N
Longitude: -4.3046 / 4°18'16"W
OS Eastings: 241388
OS Northings: 220157
OS Grid: SN413201
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T2YG
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.BKPZ
Entry Name: Lloyds Bank
Listing Date: 18 August 1954
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9468
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated roughly midway along street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Late C17 to early C18 origins presumably once a town house, but remodelled in 1891-2 by George Morgan & Son for Lloyds Bank. Probably originally built for the Rev. Edmund Meyrick, wealthy vicar of Carmarthen who died in 1713, leaving much of his estate to Jesus College, Oxford. A later C18 conveyance has a sketch showing the building as ''the Rev. Meyrick's House'' much as now: a long low block to the left called ''the long room'', said to have been the ballroom, and a 3-storey block to the right. A drawn square marks a stone for an inscription but this is not given. Morgan's plans were modified by J. A. Chatwin, the bank's retained architect. A massive external chimney stack to rear is late C17 to early C18, and the doorcase mid to later C18. The fine C18 staircase recorded in 1953 list was removed and the doorcase resited from the left bay to the third bay, both before 1981, some restoration in 1980.
Bank, painted stucco with slate roofs. Street front in 2 sections, 3-storey to right (No 42) and single-storey to left (No 43).
No 42 has 4-bay front with paired modillions to eaves cornice, channelled outer piers interrupted by first and second floor sill bands and plinth. Plate-glass horned sash windows in moulded surrounds, smaller on 2nd floor. Arched doorway in third bay with 8-panel door and good C18 traceried fanlight, in later C18 doorcase with open pediment on Ionic 3-quarter columns with entablature blocks above and moulded bases. The door and doorcase have been resited from first bay.
Rear large projecting gable to left, the gable end painted and rendered with massive external chimney-breast, narrowing with 2 offsets to right and one to left. C20 attic window to right, narrow C20 2nd floor left window and C20 ground floor or basement window set low to right. Buttress against ground floor left. Lean-to against left side wall.
No 43 King Street is single storey, of 5 bays, channelled rusticated, with high parapet, dentil cornice, sill band and plinth. Large plate-glass horned sashes in moulded surrounds with friezes and alternating pediments and cornices. Centre pediment over large rectangular framed plaque inscribed ''Bank'' over panelled door in doorcase with fluted pilasters, frieze and cornice. Rear of painted render with slate roof, 2 storeys with C20 door and windows.
Main bank hall in No 43, mainly later C19, 2 ceilings with dentil cornices, raised chimneybreast on left end wall, late C19 arch through to rear with paired half-fluted pilasters and broad depressed arch. The interior of No 42 had already been altered between 1953 and 1981 and a fine staircase removed.
Included as an important town house of late C17 to early C18 origins with imposing C18 street front with good doorcase and door and elaborate later C19 stucco embellishments.
Other nearby listed buildings