This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8573 / 51°51'26"N
Longitude: -4.3051 / 4°18'18"W
OS Eastings: 241355
OS Northings: 220146
OS Grid: SN413201
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T2T3
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.BLF1
Entry Name: No.46 King Street,,,,,dyfed,
Listing Date: 18 August 1954
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9470
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated roughly opposite Probate Office.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Substantial mid to later C18 brick-fronted town house, much altered in C20. In 1884, occupied by the Inland Revenue Office, and in 1914 and 1926 by Herbert Jones & Co., ironmongers. The ground floor survived until later C20 being described in 1953 as having original doorway with architrave and keystone, Corinthian pilasters, enriched frieze and broken pediment with pineapple. There were flanking shop windows, all replaced by C20 plate glass with inset doors. Occupied by the Co-operative Stores in later C20.
Commercial premises, former house, 3-storeys, 4-bays with close-eaved slate gabled roof. Short brick chimney stacks to left and right of left end gable. Front elevation of painted brick with window openings with prominent voussoirs and keystones on upper floors, the second floor windows square and with later C19 6-pane hornless sashes with narrower outer panes. First floor has long 15-pane hornless sashes on all but third window which has higher sill and 12 pane sash. C20 shop front to whole of ground floor. Left end wall of red brick.
Ground floor entirely altered.
Included despite loss of ground floor as remnant of one of the larger C18 town houses in Carmarthen.
Other nearby listed buildings