This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.857 / 51°51'25"N
Longitude: -4.3052 / 4°18'18"W
OS Eastings: 241342
OS Northings: 220111
OS Grid: SN413201
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T2S3
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.BLC9
Entry Name: No 51 including near-detached rear wing
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9471
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated opposite Post Office.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Much altered large C18 town house with good surviving interiors. Probably earlier to mid C18, although the rare surviving near detached building to the rear could be earlier still, late C17. The top floor was probably added in C19. In 1884 occupied by J. Rowlands, surgeon to the prison, altered with new shop-front in 1900 by G. Morgan. Noted in early C20 as premises of D. Bradbury Jones, Leader Cycle and Motor Works, bicycle maker. Bakery from 1920s to later C20. The bakery had a cafe in rear range. In 2002 occupied by The Fishfinder, fishing tackle shop.
House and shop, 4-storeys, 3-bays, unpainted render with roof behind parapet and large roughcast chimneys each end just forward of gable. The 3 upper floors have 12-pane sash windows, renewed since 1981, smaller on 2 top floors. Ground floor early C20 shop front with shop door to left of large plate glass window with curved bracket in upper corner, fascia and cornice obscured but basic form is as photographed in c1900. Wider spacing between upper floors than between first and second suggests that top floor is later addition.
Rear has rendered basement and 4-storey gable to left, with 4-pane sash window to top floor, 12-pane to 2nd floor, both aligned left of centre, and centre first floor window with ogee tracery glazing bars. C20 lean-to below, To right, rear wall is lower with close eaves and windows at alternating levels, lighting stair.
Near detached NE rear wing is of 2 storeys, whitewashed rubble stone with slate gabled roof and end chimneys. N end massive external chimneybreast with big sloping shoulders and square stone stack, raised in brick. Small stone S stack raised in brick. SW front wall has 3 small sash windows with glazing bars on first floor, similar sash window to left on ground floor, doorway to left of centre and 2 further windows.
Interior of ground floor has had walls removed but much survives. Against left wall, formerly at end of entrance passage, a fine doorway with panelled pilasters, moulded arch, keystone, and cornice over. Double panelled doors with fielded panels. This leads to C18 staircase with turned balusters and moulded rail. Ground floor cornices visible, and behind temporary shop walls is fielded wall panelling. Front room has dentil cornice on 2 walls and open pedimented overmantel on NE wall. Inner room has moulded cornice and fielded panelled overmantel on NE wall. Narrow rear room with plain cornice on 3 sides.
Fine front first floor room with full panelling, modillion cornice and fine enriched fireplace with panelled pilasters and scrolled frieze. Carved overmantel in mid C18 style, shouldered surround to panel and ornate side scrolls, broken scrolled pediment above with shell between scrolls.
NE rear wing upper floor entered from ground floor level of shop has 4 oak collar trusses to double-purlin roof and chimney breast each end.
Cellar said to have chamfered beam (RCAHMW).
Graded II* as a C18 town house with exceptional interior features and unusual layout including near-detached and possible earlier rear wing.
Other nearby listed buildings