This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8565 / 51°51'23"N
Longitude: -4.3108 / 4°18'38"W
OS Eastings: 240960
OS Northings: 220066
OS Grid: SN409200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T7D7
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.7LFP
Entry Name: Royal Welch Fusiliers Monuments and railings
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9474
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: Situated roughly midway along Lammas Street, set out into street.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Memorial erected in 1858 at the expense of Colonel (later General Sir Daniel) Lysons and the officers of the regiment to the memory of soldiers of 23rd Royal Welch Fusiliers who fell in the Crimean War. Designed and made by the sculptor Edward Richardson of London (1812-69). Mr. Weekes of Carmarthen was the builder. A Russian gun from the war was placed in front of the Monument in 1859, later removed, as was a double-branched lamp-post. Old photographs show that the obelisk itself was inscribed with the regimental honours.
A company of the regiment, commanded by Capt. Lysons, was the first British force to land on Crimean soil, and the regiment served at Alma, Inkerman and the siege of Sebastopol.
Chamfered Portland stone obelisk, Gothic style, with ballflower ornament in chamfers and plume of feathers finial, originally gilded. Square plinth inscribed with names of battles, Sebastobol, Alma, Redan and Inkerman, set on octagonal section with steeply chamfered top, carved quatrefoils on diagonal faces, and inscribed: Crimea on front face, Nil Aspera terrent on right, Ich Dien on left and Trenches on rear. This octagonal section stands on steeply chamfered top of a broad square pedestal with panels inscribed with the individual names of the fallen respectively at Alma, Redan, Inkerman, and the Sebastopol trenches, and the un-named 526 non-commissioned officers, drummers and private soldiers who died of disease. Panels in borders with Gothic flowers in borders. Small inset column shafts at angles. Plinth and base of 2 steps.
The monument is enclosed by unusual cast-iron railings in the form of crossed muskets with bayonets, the uprights with twisted ironwork and finials alternate crowns and Prince of Wales feathers.
Included as a prominent town memorial of historic interest, with very unusual railings in the form of crossed guns.
Other nearby listed buildings