This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8565 / 51°51'23"N
Longitude: -4.3093 / 4°18'33"W
OS Eastings: 241060
OS Northings: 220070
OS Grid: SN410200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T7R5
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.8L6N
Entry Name: Gates, gateposts and railings to English Baptist Church
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9476
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated across deep forecourt to chapel, between Nos 7 and 8.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Cast iron gates, piers and rails to the chapel built in 1870 by George Morgan. Exceptionally ornate gateposts are stamped J. Roberts, Carmarthen, not recorded as an iron-founder, possibly an ironmonger. Said to be stamped W.A. Baker of Newport, but stamp not found. Restored, apparently re-cast from originals, in late C20.
Highly ornate pair of cast-iron gatepiers with double wrought-iron gates and ornate cast iron railings each side on rubble stone low walls with ashlar coping. Piers have plinths, ornate openwork panels, the upper one with centre roundel with anthemion type plant scroll above and below. Neck ring under big leaf-scroll capitals with ogee-domed caps and acanthus finials. Gates each have double outer rails with finials and more ornate wrought ironwork between, quatrefoil above a twisted rail, while centre has lower top-rail with nail-head finials, wrought iron scrolls below top rail and spearheads to dog bars. Outer rails are cast-iron each rail knob-ended both ends under top and bottom bands of small ovals. Top cresting of thick fleur-de-lys and nail-head finials.
Included as exceptionally ornate gatepiers and gates from a local foundry, part of the setting of the English Baptist church.
Other nearby listed buildings