This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8566 / 51°51'23"N
Longitude: -4.3111 / 4°18'40"W
OS Eastings: 240935
OS Northings: 220081
OS Grid: SN409200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T78X
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.7L7L
Entry Name: Waverly House
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9479
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated 3 houses up from Walter Street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Terraced house of earlier C19, with through arch to rear yard. A building is marked on site on 1834 map. Occupied in 1926 by J. Forsyth Rees, veterinary surgeon and in 2002 by Mary Evans solicitor. Since 1981 building has been restored with renewed glazing. A right hand chimney and boarded doors to throughway have gone.
House in informal terrace, whitewashed stucco, ground floor channelled, with shallow imitation-slate close-eaved roof, the ridge and eaves of which do not coincide with those of either side. No chimneys. Three-storey, 3-window range unevenly spaced, the centre and right bays offset to right and close-spaced. Top floor with 9-pane sashes, first floor 12-pane, ground floor 12-pane sash, doorway and carriage arch to throughway. Throughway arch has cambered head, door is fielded 5-panel with plain overlight in stuccoed architrave of thin piers, consoles and cornice. Upper openings have moulded surrounds, first floor sill course. Surrounds have small brackets below sills. Cast-iron flower-rail to ground floor window.
Large rear wing to courtyard of 3 storeys slightly curved with top floor C20 fire escape door left and 9-pane sash right, first floor 12-pane sash each side, fire-escape door centre, and ground floor 2 windows centre left, 12-pane sash right. Rubble stone and brick later C19 former coach-house and stable at right angles. Coach entry left, 3 doors centre and right, all with cambered-headed brick surrounds and C20 glazing or doors, 2 eaves-breaking loft lights with C20 glazing under gables.
Since 1981 building has been restored with renewed glazing. A right hand chimney and boarded doors to throughway have gone.
Some 4-panel doors, some replaced. Staircase with straight balusters, rounded rail and turned newels up to attic, and later C19 marble fireplace. First floor room with small roundel in ceiling centre and lozenge surround of husk trails with bows at points. Fireplaces removed. Half-glazed door with coloured glass panels on ground floor to rear.
Included as an earlier C19 town house retaining original external character, and through arch to rear yard, and also with interior features including stair.
Other nearby listed buildings