This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8563 / 51°51'22"N
Longitude: -4.3113 / 4°18'40"W
OS Eastings: 240920
OS Northings: 220050
OS Grid: SN409200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T77X
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.7L4T
Entry Name: Sunday School to Capel Heol Awst
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9489
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on street line to left of chapel forecourt.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Schoolroom to Heol Awst Independent chapel, 1888-89, by Geoge Morgan. Of exceptional scale, it had a galleried interior and thus 2-storey elevations, and cost £1,510. The schoolroom is on the site of the printing premises of John Ross (1727-1807) deacon at the chapel and noted printer of books in Welsh and English.
Sunday School in unpainted roughcast with slate hipped roof and moulded eaves cornice. Two storeys, facades to Lammas Street of 4 bays and to courtyard of 5 bays. Leaded windows in moulded surrounds, cambered-headed to ground floor and arched above. Ground floor windows separated by broad banded piers, with string course and plinth beneath, and dentilled cornice above broken forward over piers. First floor arched lights are in an arcade of broad pilasters with moulded caps and moulded arches. Blank roundels in spandrels. Moulded coved eaves cornice. Cast iron rainwater goods. Lammas Street facade has recessed entrance bay to far left in matching style with tall arched entrance with paired arched panelled doors beneath crescent-shaped fanlight. Small roundels in spandrels with raised numerals 18 to left and 88 to right. Above is an arched window and eaves cornice as on main front. On facade is plaque recording that John Ross printer and publisher (1727-1807) lived in a house on the site.
Three-sided gallery with curved angles on 9 square panelled cast iron pillars. Long strips of decorative ironwork above horizontal panels, separated by fluted pilasters. Gallery projected on brackets. Six-panelled timber doors. Gallery stair with turned balusters. Asymmetrical gallery arrangement with raked seating to rear and right over arcade on square fluted columns with scrolled pediments. Left side has matching arcading to exterior wall. Ceiling has wide stucco cornice and plain centre rose.
Included as a handsome Italianate schoolroom of unusual scale and detail, of group value with the chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings