This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8564 / 51°51'22"N
Longitude: -4.3115 / 4°18'41"W
OS Eastings: 240909
OS Northings: 220056
OS Grid: SN409200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T76S
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.7L1S
Entry Name: Railings, gates and gatepiers to Capel Heol Awst and Sunday School
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9490
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated along street line in front of chapel forecourt and Sunday School.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Probably later C19, added in 1888-9 when the schoolroom was built to designs by George Morgan. The railings are stamped by the Old Foundry Company, Carmarthen, and are similar to those in John Street around the graveyard of the former Ebenezer Welsh Wesleyan Chapel, and to St John's Church, Priory St of 1893.
Forecourt railings and matching double gates with cast-iron gatepiers. Railings have circular uprights with conical lance-head finials, with short intermediate rails with simpler heads above very low intermediate rail. Slightly taller and more ornate finials to main stanchions. Grey limestone chamfered coping to low walls. Broad double gates of similar design. Fine panelled cast-iron gate piers with ornate corniced caps, and tall lamp-stand finials with scroll supports, right hand pier inscribed "The Old Foundry Company, Carmarthen".
Included as a particularly fine set of locally-made railings and for group value with surrounding listed items.
Other nearby listed buildings