This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8563 / 51°51'22"N
Longitude: -4.3112 / 4°18'40"W
OS Eastings: 240932
OS Northings: 220049
OS Grid: SN409200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T790
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.7L6T
Entry Name: The Drovers Arms
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9491
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated just E of Heol Awst Sunday School.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Inn with earlier to mid C19 exterior detail but with plaque of 1775. Marked on 1834 map of Carmarthen, but date of name uncertain, though listed as the Drovers Arms in 1926 directory.
Inn in terraced row, painted stucco, C20 concrete tile roof with moulded eaves cornice and brick end stacks. Three-storey 3-window range upper 2 floors with plate glass sashes and ground floor with large square 4-pane sash to left of central doorway and similar tripartite sash to right. Window openings with plain stucco surround and on first floor with moulded cornices on consoles. Doorway with pilasters and entablature and door of 6 fielded panels. Raised plinth. C20 inn sign hanging from scrolled bracket on first floor. On far left second floor is a dressed stone inscribed 'This pine end belongs to the house eastwards 1775'. Rear has a little slate-hanging and long 3-storey rear wing with C20 windows and concrete tiles, 6-window range of windows with concrete lintels and brick sides.
Altered ground floor.
Listed as a town inn with mid C19 detail but C18 origins, and for group value with the surrounding listed items.
Other nearby listed buildings