This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8563 / 51°51'22"N
Longitude: -4.3099 / 4°18'35"W
OS Eastings: 241021
OS Northings: 220051
OS Grid: SN410200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T7LV
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.7LXS
Entry Name: The Rose and Crown Hotel
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9492
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated some 20m E of entrance to Friars Park.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Inn, probably late C18 to early C19, building marked on 1834 map of Carmarthen. Mid C19 exterior stucco detail, date of inn uncertain, though named as Rose and Crown in 1926 directory.
Informally terraced house now inn, painted stucco with slate gabled roof, ridge and eaves of which are lower than those of No 116 but higher than those of No 118. Brick end stacks, left stack narrow, right square and apparently shared with No 116. Three-storey, 3-window range, offset to left. Windows in stucco architraves with sill brackets; horned sashes with lateral glazing bars, 3 to top floor, 2 to first floor, with windowless bay. On ground floor, sashes replaced by C20 28-pane window with top opening lights. Centre doorway, which is further to left than corresponding top floor window. Cellar opening to right. Doorway has fluted pilasters and moulded cornice on paired consoles, under C20 wooden hood with scalloped fascia bearing the word 'hotel'. Raised plinth. C20 metal-bracketed inn sign.
Rear gable with truncated external stack. Near-detached rubble-stone rear building with close-eaved roof, 2 first floor 4-pane sashes with brick heads, whitewashed ground floor with small window left of centre. Red brick N stack.
Entrance hall has round arch springing from one console and second depressed arch. Staircase with stick balusters, partially boarded over, and slender turned newels. Pegged oak roof trusses.
Included as a 3-storey urban building with later C19 external character but earlier C19 or late C18 origins still apparent in surviving interior features.
Other nearby listed buildings