This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8563 / 51°51'22"N
Longitude: -4.3094 / 4°18'33"W
OS Eastings: 241054
OS Northings: 220048
OS Grid: SN410200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T7Q5
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.8L5S
Entry Name: Boar's Head Hotel
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9493
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated opposite English Baptist Chapel.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Large former coaching inn mid C18 originally altered 1820s, but said to have been a town-house of the Owens of Orielton, (Hugh Owen was the recorder of Carmarthen 1574) and later known as the New Inn. Rebuilt in 1750s and 1824 (information from hotel), when it was considerably enlarged with a new suite of stabling. (Altered again at sometime when stabling converted into accommodation. Assembly rooms here were used in mid C19 for public functions. A ground plan dated 1819 survives with rough designs for alterations, by David Morgan, shows that the original hotel was in the right 4-bay part with a passage through to rear and then a 3-bay stable with carriageway to left was added in 1819 and also a rear wing on the original building with kitchen, brewhouse, 3-stall stable and 3-bay coach house. Another 8-stall stable was added in yard.
There is a tradition that a landlord was said to have been killed by a bull during bull-baiting, the incident apparently ending the custom.
Hotel, white-painted stucco with concrete-tile close-eaved roofs. Mainly of 3 storeys but with fourth added at right end. Originally with brick end stacks, mostly removed since 1981. Front elevation of 9 bays with plinth, sill bands at first and second floor levels and another under added storey to right, the added storey of 4 bays. Twelve-pane hornless sash windows with blind windows to second, fourth and seventh bays from right on second floor and corresponding second and fourth bays to added top floor. On ground floor, square-headed vehicle entrance with ledged doors in left bay, 2 16-pane sashes (not aligned with 3 bays above) then centre door in fifth bay under broad late C19 to early C20 iron hood with glass fascia panels with inset of name of hotel, on ornate scrolled cast-iron brackets. Nine flush panels to door. Tripartite 4-12-4-pane sash in seventh bay and 2 12-pane sashes in last two bays to right. Rear is roughcast with C20 windows, gable behind W range.
Two-storey SW rear wing with former assembly room on first floor. C20 concrete tiles to roof, brick cladding painted black with some slate hanging in S gable end; in E elevation, 2 large sash windows each four panes wide on first floor and 6-panelled door and sash windows with some other later openings on ground floor.
Ground floor much altered, C18 rear staircase in early to mid C18 London style with turned balusters and moulded rail with square newels. Former fielded panelled doors replaced by fire doors.
Listed as one of the earliest surviving and most prominent inns in the town, of Georgian external character, and with fine earlier C18 staircase.
Other nearby listed buildings