This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8552 / 51°51'18"N
Longitude: -4.307 / 4°18'25"W
OS Eastings: 241216
OS Northings: 219922
OS Grid: SN412199
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T8BH
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.9MFM
Entry Name: Section of Medieval Town Wall
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9494
Building Class: Defence
Location: Situated some 25m E of junction with Quay Street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Stretch of walling, perhaps part of the 1233 town wall. The town walls ran their SW course between the present Blue and Quay Streets and then swept E along Little Bridge Street before joining the castle walls and later were extended E along Dan-y-banc. See separate entry for town walls under Dan-y-banc.
Section of medieval town wall of Carmarthen, rising to a height of circa 5m with later repairs. Now the rear garden wall to No 6 Quay Street and to No 3 St Mary's Street. At left end, an external flight of thirteen stone steps with stone retaining wall rises up to garden door to No 6 Quay Street, with C19 or later frame of red brick. Central section of wall has been repaired after collapse and is said to front a tunnel under garden of no 3 St Mary's Street. Straight joint before taller E section which adjoins the yard wall of the former Red Cow PH, 28 Bridge Street. This section and centre section have small square openings low down.
Listed as one of the few remaining standing portions of the medieval town wall.
Other nearby listed buildings