This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8512 / 51°51'4"N
Longitude: -4.3321 / 4°19'55"W
OS Eastings: 239471
OS Northings: 219522
OS Grid: SN394195
Mapcode National: GBR DF.TG35
Mapcode Global: VH3LG.VQNS
Entry Name: Millbank Hall
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9502
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated approximately 500m SE of junction with St Clears Road.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Suburban house perhaps originally a farmhouse or minor gentry house of late C18 or earlier C19. The 1837 tithe map has a Mill Brook owned by the Rev James Owen, his wife and Elizabeth Walters, occupied by John Barnfield, and a Mill Bank owned by the same occupied by James Mortimer with tanyard. In 1926 Millbank Villa is listed as occupied by the Misses Irving. Heavily altered since 1981.
Substantial detached house, whitewashed roughcast with stucco dressings. Two storeys, 2 parallel ranges, the rear range lower and narrower. Slate gabled valley roof with bracketed eaves and one remaining stuccoed stack to left. Two-storey front divided three main bays to left, one to right, all windows replaced in uPVC since 1981 including 2 canted bay windows to ground floor each side of porch which has 2 round posts and flat roof. C20 half-glazed uPVC door. Raised stucco angle quoins, plinth and surrounds to windows. Lion head mask each end under eaves. Added lean-to at left end with C20 window.
Windowless right gable end, missing chimney. Rear range gable end adjoining has C20 uPVC window in first floor centre and ground floor left and C20 porch with half-glazed door to right. Rear of rear range has C20 windows in first floor and attached single-storey outhouse to left.
Since 1981 one end chimney has gone, and all the front windows which were casements with four-centred Tudor-arched lights. The 2 canted bays had Tudor-arched lights with sunk spandrels. The porch was Tuscan-columned and the door had Tudor-arched upper panels to 4-panel door with C19 knocker.
Retained on list notwithstanding alterations as late C18 or early C19 minor gentry house.
Other nearby listed buildings