This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8552 / 51°51'18"N
Longitude: -4.3207 / 4°19'14"W
OS Eastings: 240270
OS Northings: 219951
OS Grid: SN402199
Mapcode National: GBR DF.TBY4
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.2M5M
Entry Name: The Picton Monument
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9503
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: Situated in island in middle of road at top of Picton Terrace.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Obelisk memorial of 1847-9 to General Sir Thomas Picton, noted Peninsular War commander, killed at Waterloo in 1815. Picton is buried in St Paul's Cathedral. The obelisk here replaces a large memorial designed in 1824 by John Nash, and built 1825-8, with statue of the general by E.H. Baily and relief carvings unfortunately made of Roman cement which crumbled within a few years and the entire monument was dismantled in 1846. Part of a replacement relief frieze by Baily is in Carmarthen Museum.
The replacement monument was designed by F.E.H.Fowler as a column with statue, but changed to an obelisk with lions around, the lions then omitted to save money, and cannon used instead, since removed. Fowler may not have designed the final obelisk, as J.L. Collard is also named as architect. Truncated as unsafe in later C20 and rebuilt in 1988, part of the original Nash monument was found within the existing structure during dismantling.
Obelisk approximately 25m high in tooled grey limestone on panelled pedestal, inscribed in raised capital letters: 'Picton born August 24 1758 Fell at Waterloo June 18 1815' on 2 sides and the names of his battles on the other 2 sides: Busaco, Badajos, Vittoria, Orthes, Toulouse, and Waterloo. Diagonal plain plinths extend from corners.
Included, notwithstanding reconstruction, as a landmark in distant views of Carmarthen, and for historical interest as a memorial to a renowned Napoleonic War hero.
Other nearby listed buildings