This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8564 / 51°51'23"N
Longitude: -4.3062 / 4°18'22"W
OS Eastings: 241272
OS Northings: 220049
OS Grid: SN412200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T8HK
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.9LTR
Entry Name: St Peter's Civic Hall
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9506
Building Class: Civil
Location: Situated at N end of the square, set back from No 62 King Street to right.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Building of uncertain date, presumably mid C19, as found to be an insert between existing buildings in 2002 renovation. Site is built up on 1834 map. Acquired as St Peter's Church House during C19, remodelled with church hall and rooms behind in 1964 and sold to borough council in 1977. Renovation in 2001 revealed rubble stone walling with red brick surrounds to windows. Old photographs show a town-house front with an arched doorway to ground floor right and main door between 2 windows.
Terraced building, stuccoed with slate roof. Three storeys, 3 bays with moulded timber eaves cornice. Rainwater head to left hand. Bands at sill levels, window openings with moulded architraves. Twelve-pane sash windows to first floor, 9-pane to second floor and ground floor with small C20 single light each side of broad C20 entry (a red brick relieving arch was revealed in 2001 works). Entire front renewed 2002.
Ground floor all C20, remains of C19 stair in upper floors.
Included as a C19 building in the Georgian style prominently set in the corner of the square.
Other nearby listed buildings