This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8573 / 51°51'26"N
Longitude: -4.3004 / 4°18'1"W
OS Eastings: 241679
OS Northings: 220141
OS Grid: SN416201
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T3ZK
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.DLX0
Entry Name: Gates, gatepiers and bollards to footpath on S side
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9516
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Situated at top of footpath from Under Parade Road, opposite No 10.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Small C19 pedestrian gate in wrought iron to footpath up to The Parade. The Parade was laid out by public subscription in 1782, a source in 1801 refers to music from a militia band and a long broad walk. A print of c1874 shows it lined on both sides with trees and shrubs.
Small pair of iron gates at top end of footpath. Gates have spear-head rails, bottom, mid and top rails, the top rails on a slight curve up to meeting stile. The SE gate is fixed against a late C19 fluted cast-iron bollard with ball finial, inscribed "Jones and Sons, Priory Foundry, Carmarthen". Gates are flanked by plain stone piers projecting from flanking walls. Stretch of wall running E adjoining has triangular iron-slag coping stones. Gate was removed and re-erected 2002.
Included as a small C19 pedestrian gate of locally-made ironwork, part of an interesting scheme of urban planning with its origin in the late C18.
Other nearby listed buildings