History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Entrance Building to the former Carmarthen Workhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8611 / 51°51'40"N

Longitude: -4.3088 / 4°18'31"W

OS Eastings: 241113

OS Northings: 220582

OS Grid: SN411205

Mapcode National: GBR DG.SV61

Mapcode Global: VH3LH.8HH3

Entry Name: Entrance Building to the former Carmarthen Workhouse

Listing Date: 19 May 1981

Last Amended: 28 November 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 9517

Building Class: Health and Welfare

Location: Situated some 50m up from fork of Penlan Road.

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Carmarthen

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Carmarthen

History

Entrance building to Carmarthen workhouse, earlier C19; probably dating from the rebuilt workhouse of 1837-40, but possibly from the earlier poorhouse built in 1805-6, renamed a workhouse in 1821, as the detached gatehouse is not typical of the post 1834 Poor Law workhouses (cf Narberth, Cardigan, Aberaeron etc). Not however shown on 1834 map.
Historically notable for the storming by Rebecca rioters on 19th June 1843, after the protest march of over 1000 people had diverted from their route to the Guildhall to ransack the new workhouse. They were attacked there by cavalrymen of the 4th Light Dragoons and dispersed with the capture of about 100. The incident was one of the pre-eminent incidents of popular revolt in Wales.
The foundation stone of the new workhouse was laid in 1837, with Thomas Evans as contractor, but there were further extensions in 1839-40 by J.L. Collard and in the 1880s and 1890s by G. Morgan. A fire in 1906 burnt out the main part, rebuilt 1907-8 by A.I. Jones.

Exterior

Entrance block of 2 storeys with SW elevation of 3 bays. Stuccoed with slate hipped roof and centre wall-face stack. Plinth, ground floor central vehicular entrance with semi-elliptical ashlar arch with impost blocks . Similar arch to rear SW elevations. Otherwise blank elevation to front, with broad raised pier each side, 2 narrow bands between floors and a first floor raised external chimneybreast with plain corbels below lower band. The bands are broken forward around both piers and chimney breast.
Rear SW elevation to courtyard has 3 sash windows on first floor and a similar sash window to each side of similar entrance arch.
Blank side walls with double band and panels above.

Reasons for Listing

Included as the only surviving building of the early C19 workhouse, and of historical importance as relating to the Rebecca uprising of 1843.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.