This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8561 / 51°51'21"N
Longitude: -4.3176 / 4°19'3"W
OS Eastings: 240490
OS Northings: 220035
OS Grid: SN404200
Mapcode National: GBR DF.TCP5
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.3MT0
Entry Name: Ty Clyd, including front railings and gates
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9525
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated second house W of lane to Picton Court/Llys Picton.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Earlier C19 terraced house, built c.1830, as a pair with No 14. Houses were built in Picton Terrace after the Picton monument was erected 1828. Marked on 1834 map as a single property. In 1854 bought by Titus Lewis poet, draper and commercial traveller, advertised for lease 1858 but not sold by family until 1917. Plans for a bathroom addition 1917 by J.H. Morgan.
Terraced house paired with No 14, painted stucco with slate roof, moulded eaves cornice and brick end stacks. Three-storey 2-window range, upper floors with 16-pane sashes. Ground floor left, semi-circular headed sash window with radiating glazing bars and marginal bars. Arched doorway to right with open pedimented doorcase, with reeded half-columns, console brackets to open pediment, panelled reveals and plain fanlight. Six-panel door with fielded panels. Plain flat-headed passage doorway to far right, 6-panel door, top 2 glazed.
Path to passage door and front garden bounded by dwarf grey limestone walls with iron railings and uprights with scrolled arrow-headed finials rising alternately above top and middle rails. Two similar gates: gate to passage entrance with flat top rail, gate to house (originally double) with top rail upswept to centre and decorated mid rail.
Some moulded cornices, arched alcoves, 6-panelled doors, panelled shutters. Staircase with stick balusters and slender paired newels. First floor drawing room fireplace with mantelshelf on Corinthian columns, mentioned in earlier list description, removed.
Included as late Gerogian terraced house with good surviving detail outside and inside, part of the fine late Georgian suburban development of this street.
Other nearby listed buildings