This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.856 / 51°51'21"N
Longitude: -4.3178 / 4°19'3"W
OS Eastings: 240476
OS Northings: 220032
OS Grid: SN404200
Mapcode National: GBR DF.TCN2
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.3MQ1
Entry Name: No 15 including gate and railings
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9526
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated the fifth house W of lane to Picton Court/Llys Picton.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Terraced house one of terrace of 3, Nos 15-17, built after the construction of the Picton Monument 1825-8, but marked on 1834 map. Occupied in 1926 by Joseph Metcalfe. Ernest V. Collier, architect, and a founder of the Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society, died here in 1932.
Terraced house, one of a row of 3, set back from No.14. Painted stucco with slate close-eaved roof (originally eaves had paired brackets) and red brick stack to left. Three-storey 2-window range, top floor with 9-pane sashes and first floor with tall, narrow plate sashes. Ground floor left arched sash 5 panes wide with radiating glazing bars, and arched doorway under right window with doorcase, and blind arch immediately right over plain low through-passage entry. House doorway has open pediment on consoles (with added thin iron column supports) with renewed reeded half-columns and fanlight with radiating tracery. Three steps up to renewed 6-panel with panelled reveals. Passageway door plain boarded. Cambered-headed basement window with horned sash.
SE side of garden and SW side of passage bounded by railings with slender uprights and scroll finials on grey limestone coping. Urn stanchions. Matching gates with dog bars. Row of railings up to door, to left of through-passage path, on rough brick base, and another between gardens of Nos 15 and 16.
Panelled shutters to ground floor.
Included as one of a terrace of 3 late Georgian houses of considerable architectural quality; part of the fine late Georgian suburban development of this street.
Other nearby listed buildings