This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.856 / 51°51'21"N
Longitude: -4.3179 / 4°19'4"W
OS Eastings: 240466
OS Northings: 220028
OS Grid: SN404200
Mapcode National: GBR DF.TCLZ
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.3MN2
Entry Name: No 17 including gate and railings
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9528
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated almost midway between the junctions with Picton Court and Union Street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Terraced house, one of three with Nos 15 and 16, built after Picton Monument of 1825-8 initiated house-building here and before 1834, as marked on 1834 map. Iron balcony and front railings added in late C19.
Attached house, painted stucco, slate roof and paired bracketed eaves. Tall red brick end stacks. Three-storey and cellar, 2-window range. Two small roof lights near ridge. Upper floor with 9-pane sashes and first floor with 15-pane sashes, ground floor with arched sash window with radiating glazing bars to left and arched doorway with C19 4r-panelled door and plain fanlight to right, neither aligned with windows above. Cellar grille beneath window and large cambered-headed basement window.
Balcony to first floor with later C19 balustrade of iron railings with 3 panels of ornate scroll-work, supported on thin iron columns with ornate iron pierced brackets.
E side of front garden bordered by scroll-topped earlier C19 iron railings similar to those on No.16. S side bounded by dwarf stone wall and late C19 railings with alternately straight and twisted uprights and decorative scrolled iron panels. Gate of similar pattern with cast-iron gatepiers.
Included as one of a terrace of 3 late Georgian houses of considerable considerable architectural quality; part of the fine late Georgian suburban development associated with the Picton Monument.
Other nearby listed buildings