This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.856 / 51°51'21"N
Longitude: -4.318 / 4°19'4"W
OS Eastings: 240461
OS Northings: 220025
OS Grid: SN404200
Mapcode National: GBR DF.TCM0
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.3MM2
Entry Name: No 18 including railings and gate
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9529
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in terraced row opposite entry to government buildings complex.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Terraced house built after Picton Monument of 1825-8 initiated building here and before 1834 as marked on 1834 map, a mirrored pair with No 19, taller than adjacent Nos 15-17. Occupied in 1926 by J.H. Prichard.
Terraced house paired with No 19, set forward of Nos 15-17, painted stucco with slate gabled roof, tall red brick stack to left, and small modillions to eaves cornice. Three-storey 2-window range offset to right with 12-pane sashes and arched doorway to ground floor right. Doorcase renewed simpler in late C20, pediment on plain piers (formerly with open pediment hood on console brackets, and panelled pilasters). Fanlight with radiating tracery and C20 5-panel door. Basement window under C20 skylight.
Front garden has dwarf grey limestone wall and iron railings with scroll finials and dog-bars, and urn stanchions. Top rail is slightly ramped down (as on no 19) Matching railings to right side, matching gate. Thin plain rails to left of approach steps.
Staircase with straight balusters 3 per tread, turned bulbous newels, ramped rail. Plain hall arch and cornice, 6-panel doors replaced by fire-doors, semi-elliptical arches to front ground floor room.
Included as a late Georgian terraced house of architectural quality, part of the residential development associated with the Picton Monument.
Other nearby listed buildings