This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8559 / 51°51'21"N
Longitude: -4.3184 / 4°19'6"W
OS Eastings: 240432
OS Northings: 220018
OS Grid: SN404200
Mapcode National: GBR DF.TCHR
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.3MD4
Entry Name: Swn-y-Gwynt, including railings and gates
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9532
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on E side of junction with Union Terrace.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Detached 3-bay house, similar to No 20 adjoining, both built after the Picton Monument of 1825-8 initiated development, but No 21 apparently after 1834, as the 1834 map shows no detached house on the end of the terrace. The arched windows are similar to those on Nos 13-17 and the wrought iron railings are also matched on other houses in the Terrace. Occupied in 1926 by W.V.H. Thomas. Converted like No 20 to flats in late C20.
Detached house, painted roughcast, slate close-eaved roof with rebuilt brick end stacks. Three-storey 3-window range, 2 roof lights near ridge and upper floors with plate glass sashes. Ground floor with semi-circular headed plate glass sash either side of central doorway renewed slightly simplified in late C20. Former open pediment on brackets missing the returns, and reeded half-columns missing capitals. Five steps up to 6-panel door with 4 fielded panels, panelled reveals and fanlight with radiating tracery. Stucco sill course at first floor level and window openings with plain stucco surrounds. Loft light in each end wall.
Rear has 12-pane sash each floor left, 2 small attic windows right over 12-pane sash to each main floor, and off-centre long 36-pane stair light over door.
Front garden with dwarf grey limestone wall surmounted by railings with scroll and arrow-headed finials; centre similar paired gates with upswept top rails.
Hall with moulded ceiling border, hall arch with radiating-bar fanlight. Dog-leg staircase with later C19 turned newels.
Included as a late Georgian town house with good surviving detail, part of the fine late Georgian development by the Picton Monument 1825-8.
Other nearby listed buildings