This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8557 / 51°51'20"N
Longitude: -4.3195 / 4°19'10"W
OS Eastings: 240357
OS Northings: 219999
OS Grid: SN403199
Mapcode National: GBR DF.TC71
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.2MT9
Entry Name: No 27 including railings and gates and rear garden wall
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9538
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on W side of junction with Picton Place.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
End-terrace house on corner site built after the construction of the Picton Monument initiated development in 1825-8, probably mid 1830s, the building shown on the site on the 1834 map seems of smaller scale. The hipped roof on the corner is matched on No 26 across Picton Place, so perhaps they were intended as a pair. Altered in C19 with door and ground floor window detail more typical of mid C19, and different railings, under restoration at time of resurvey, many features missing, awaiting restoration.
End-terrace house, whitewashed stucco, close-eaved slate roof with hip to right and chimneys on rear ridge and N end. Two-storey and cellar, L-plan, 3-window range to front. Upper floor with 12-pane sashes and ground floor formerly with later C19 tripartite hornless 4-12-4 sash either side of central square-headed doorway, under restoration at time of resurvey to original style. Cellar openings beneath windows. Doorway under alteration at time of resurvey, former mid C19 doorcase had panelled pilasters, dentil cornice on consoles. Door with overlight with intersecting ogee tracery, door missing, in 1981 4-panel door, the upper panels shaped and Egyptian head knocker. Four steps up, raised plinth over cellar windows.
Picton Place side elevation has 2-window rear range, 12-pane sashes and a small window to ground floor right replacing door. Lower rear wing with 3 small square four-pane casements under eaves and two small twelve-pane sashes to ground floor centre and right, centre one replacing a door.
Front yard was enclosed by railings in 1981, missing at time of resurvey, formerly there was a wall of coursed rubble and iron railings with spiked finials, standards with urn finials, gate with top rail curved down to centre and dog bars.
A wall of stone rubble bounds rear court, along Picton Place some 20m and returning along N side.
Stair on rear wall at right angles, stick balusters, open treads with scrolled ends and thin rail. Cellar. Most other detail removed in renewal works 2002. Wide elliptical hall arch.
Included as a late Georgian house, on prominent corner site, part of the fine suburban development of Picton Terrace which followed construction of the Picton Monument in 1825-8.
Other nearby listed buildings