This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8557 / 51°51'20"N
Longitude: -4.3196 / 4°19'10"W
OS Eastings: 240347
OS Northings: 219995
OS Grid: SN403199
Mapcode National: GBR DF.TC5Y
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.2MR9
Entry Name: No 28 including railings
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9539
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in middle of row of the 3 most westerly houses in Picton Terrace.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Three-storey house, earlier C19, dated either 1830 or 1839, part of the development along Picton Terrace initiated by the construction of the Picton Monument 1825-8. The house marked on site on 1834 map looks of smaller size, so the 1839 date may be correct. Advertised for sale in 1876 with garden suitable for development running back to Picton Place. Used as student accommodation in later C20, under reconstruction 2002.
Attached house, whitewashed stucco, imitation slate close-eaved roof, ridge and eaves higher than those of No 27, ridge slightly lower than No 29. Red brick end stacks. Three storeys and cellar, 3-window range, all early C20 horned sashes with 10-pane upper halves, larger with eared surrounds to ground floor, and centre square-headed doorway with C20 flat hood on brackets. Trellis porch described in 1981 has gone. Barred cellar opening in ground to left and in wall to right. Three stone steps up to six-panel door, top four fielded, with panelled reveals, some panels fielded, and overlight (the radiating tracery and stained glass recorded in 1981 gone). Inscribed stone at top right dated 1830 or 1839.
Outshut rear with further outshut to left and 3-storey gable to right with deep eaves. Long stair-light centre (boarded over at time of resurvey).
Front yard enclosed by dwarf wall of grey limestone, with wrought iron railings with dog bars, scroll panels above, double top-rail and scroll finials. Standards with urn finials. Gate missing.
Open string staircase with stick balusters, scrolled treads and slender handrail scrolled at foot, no newels. Six-panelled doors, though some boarded on upper floors. Arched sideboard recesses, moulded ceiling cornice, some leaf scroll. Wide elliptical hall arch with panelled soffit on reeded pilasters.
Included as one of the larger late Georgian style houses in Picton Terrace, part of the fine urban development initiated by the building of the Picton Monument 1825-8.
Other nearby listed buildings