This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8587 / 51°51'31"N
Longitude: -4.3006 / 4°18'2"W
OS Eastings: 241668
OS Northings: 220297
OS Grid: SN416202
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T3WW
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.DJTY
Entry Name: Former Carmarthenshire Infirmary
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9542
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: At corner of Priory Street and North Parade
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Former Carmarthenshire Infirmary built 1857-8 by William Wesley Jenkins of London, William Lewis builder. The accepted tender was for £3260. Bishop Connop Thirwall laid the foundation stone on 14th May 1857 and it opened on 1st July 1858. Thomas Charles, builder, of Llandeilo, superintended the work. Extensions were added to the rear from 1899 to 1934. Taken over In 1948 by the National Health Service, closed in late C20 and most of the rear additions demolished 2002, pending conversion to flats or offices.
Former hospital, stuccoed with hipped slate roof and 4 rendered chimneys, Italianate style. Two storeys, 7 window front arranged 2-3-2 bays, with moulded eaves cornice. Banded pilasters between sections, with paired brackets in place of capitals. Windows are 12-pane hornless sashes in moulded architraves, but broad central window is altered, originally a larger sash with architrave and flat cornice, now a 5-light sash of 4-8-8-8-4 panes with no architrave. Broad sill band has inscription "Carmarthenshire Infirmary Supported by Voluntary Contributions". Central broad doorway with pedimented surround, of Doric pilasters, frieze and dentilled pediment, with inscription on frieze "Founded 1847". Deeply recessed doors. Inscribed over windows each side is "Built 1858". Ends have 3 first floor windows (centre one blind), then recessed bay linking to similar-sized parallel rear range (illustrated in 1861 view) with hipped slate roof, 3-window ends and 7-window rear, the rear much altered by additions demolished in 2001-2.
In 1981 the front block had a contemporary staircase with continuous handrail and stick balusters, large tripartite sash stair window; some panelled doors, but was otherwise mostly modernised. Inaccessible at time of resurvey.
Included as a purpose-built mid C19 hospital building in Italianate style.
Other nearby listed buildings