This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8553 / 51°51'19"N
Longitude: -4.3076 / 4°18'27"W
OS Eastings: 241173
OS Northings: 219928
OS Grid: SN411199
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T862
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.9M3L
Entry Name: Ty Gelli Aur/Golden Grove House, with steps and railings
Listing Date: 18 August 1954
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9561
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated 15m NE of junction with Little Bridge Street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Earlier C18 town house in a style typical of London from the late C17 to c.1730, marked on 1834 map, much altered in renovation c. 1985. In late C19 a private girls' school, the Girls Collegiate School, and from 1895-99 the County Girls' School, or Girls' Intermediate School, which became the Girls Grammar School and was subsequently at Parc Myrddin 1899-1958. Offices in 2002.
Substantial terraced house, painted stucco, steep slate roof with eaves lower than those of No 9, late C20 modillion gutter cornice, red brick stack to right, adjoining that of No 9 and small stuccoed stack to right. Two storeys, attic and cellar, 5-window range. Three rooflights. Renewed 12-pane sashes and centre doorway. Cellar opening with 10-pane window in raised plinth, beneath left window.
From pavement a flight of 5 stone steps with renewed iron railings rises up from left to doorway with late C20 detail: architrave, flat hood with dentil cornice on wrought-iron brackets and 8-panel door with fielded panels.
Interior substantially altered since 1981.
In 1981 the house had vestibule with arches, one with fanlight with tracery and the other with raised and fielded panelled reveals. SW ground floor room lined with raised and fielded panelling and fireplace with bolection moulding in SE wall. Fielded-panelled 6-panel doors. Cornices. C18 staircase with turned balusters, ornately carved newel, closed pulvinated string and panelled dado above wall string.
In 2002 the interior features had almost all gone, the left room had an elliptical arched recess on rear wall and ceiling in 2 panels, but all detail renewed. The staircase was mostly or all renewed, with closed moulded string, turned balusters and square newels.
Included despite loss of interior features as a substantially earlier C18 town house in the principal surviving Georgian street of the town.
Other nearby listed buildings