This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8552 / 51°51'18"N
Longitude: -4.3077 / 4°18'27"W
OS Eastings: 241164
OS Northings: 219923
OS Grid: SN411199
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T850
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.9M1M
Entry Name: Cartref
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9563
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 5m NE of junction with Little Bridge Street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Much altered later C18 terraced house, part of a row of 4 2-storey houses mentioned in 1953 provisional list, of which only Nos 11 and 12 survive, built as a mirrored pair. Marked on 1834 map. In 1884 occupied by John Morgan Hopkins, physician. No 11 has had an extra storey added presumably in C19 (shown in view of 1921), and has been much restored since 1981.
Quay Street is the most complete street of C18 houses left in Carmarthen, the street formed in the early C12 and already by the late middle ages the street of Carmarthen's most prominent families. No 19, which has been demolished, was dated 1698. It is not yet possible to establish precise dates for the other houses but most of them seem to be of C18 date, some retaining panelling and staircases of the period.
Terraced house, standing well forward of No.10, paired with No 12. Painted stucco with slate gabled roof and tall stuccoed stack at left. Originally 2 storeys, and 3-window range like No 12 but with later top storey addition, and fenestration of upper floor altered to 2 windows. Cellar. Added top storey has 16-pane sash to extreme right, and wall is slightly set back from original eaves, to maintain line with No12. Twelve-pane sashes to main front in plain raised surrounds: first floor with one to left of centre (aligned between the 2 ground floor sashes) and one to extreme right over doorway, ground floor 2 sash windows (restored since 1981) over 2 small cellar windows, and door to right paired with that of No 12. Two steps up to fielded-panelled 6-panel door in doorcase with plain pilasters and moulded flat hood on shaped brackets. Original eaves have C20 board replacing moulded cornice and narrow line of slates over. Ground and first floor windows with plain stucco surround. Left gable end has large 12-pane sash in attic storey and similar window at first floor, both with plain stucco surround.
Rear has 12-pane sash to first, second and attic floors to right, the attic window under catslide, door and 12-pane sash to ground floor centre with 8-pane window above, and right side has 2 12-pane sashes at intermediate levels and small sash under eaves of 20 very small panes. Sash windows all renewed.
Staircase with thin turned balusters and small square newels.
Included as a terraced house of C19 character and C18 origins, important with No 12 as closing view down Quay Street the principal surviving Georgian street of the town.
Other nearby listed buildings