This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8553 / 51°51'18"N
Longitude: -4.308 / 4°18'28"W
OS Eastings: 241148
OS Northings: 219925
OS Grid: SN411199
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T82T
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.8MXM
Entry Name: No.26 Quay Street,,,,,dyfed,,9564
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9564
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated towards lower end, opposite Nos 11-12.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Later C18 town house, raised on full-height basement. Marked on 1834 map. Since 1981 the door has been encased in lean-to rendered porch. Divided into flats.
Quay Street is the most complete street of C18 houses left in Carmarthen, the street formed in the early C12 and already by the late middle ages the street of Carmarthen's most prominent families. No 19, which has been demolished, was dated 1698. It is not yet possible to establish precise dates for the other houses but most of them seem to be of C18 date, some retaining panelling and staircases of the period.
Terraced house, painted stucco with slate roof, close eaves and brick end stacks. Facade is taller than adjoining Nos 25 and 27 and set back slightly from No 27. Tall 3-storey and full-height cellar front, 3-window range offset to right. Twelve-pane sashes, smaller to top floor which has no centre window. Doorway to ground floor right raised considerably above pavement level reached up steps with iron railings (originally similar to those outside No.10 replaced in near replica in late C20) rising sideways to original fielded-panelled door of 8 panels in C20 stuccoed open-fronted porch with pitched slate roof. In 1981 there was no porch but an architrave frame with flat canopy as on No 3. To left, downhill, boarded door to cellar in left bay. Thin first floor sill band.
Later C18 closed string staircase with column newels, moulded rail and column balusters, in 4 flights. The panelled doors have all been replaced.
Included as a Georgian town house retaining some original external detail and a fine staircase, in the most complete Georgian street of the town.
Other nearby listed buildings