This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8557 / 51°51'20"N
Longitude: -4.3075 / 4°18'27"W
OS Eastings: 241179
OS Northings: 219974
OS Grid: SN411199
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T85Y
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.9M48
Entry Name: Nos.30 & 31 Quay Street,,,,,dyfed,
Listing Date: 18 August 1954
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9566
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 25m SW of junction with St Mary's Street.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Town house with earlier C19 detail, but possibly of C18 origin as the stepped-in joint to No 31 suggests that the upper floor may be added in a general rebuild. Marked on 1834 map, possibly the Biddulph Bros & Co bank shown at the end of a terraced row. In 1884 occupied by J Howell Thomas & Thompson, solicitors, and in 2002 by L.H. Phillips, chartered accountants.
Quay Street is the most complete street of C18 houses left in Carmarthen, the street formed in the early C12 and already by the late middle ages the street of Carmarthen's most prominent families. No 19, which has been demolished, was dated 1698. It is not yet possible to establish precise dates for the other houses but most of them seem to be of C18 date, some retaining panelling and staircases of the period.
Town house at left end of terraced row, attached to No 31. Painted stucco, slate roof with C20 modillion eaves cornice and red brick end stacks. Three-storey and cellar, 3-window range of 12-pane sashes with central doorway and tripartite sash to right. Two cellar openings in plinth on the outer sides of lower windows. Four steps up to plain doorway with original fielded-panelled 8-panel door. Plaque at top right reading 'This pine end belongs to Colonel Owen'. Straight joint to No 31 stepped in at top floor suggesting that there may have been a 2-storey house raised a storey in earlier C19. Rear has rear NW wing with 12-pane sash each floor on S return, hipped close-eaved roof and W end stack. Lower 2-storey addition to W out to line of medieval town wall.
Fine earlier C19 open string staircase, scrolled treads, with stick balusters and narrow hardwood ramped rail, and slim column newels. Stair rises from ground floor to attic. Contemporary flat-headed staircase window, six-panel doors with sunk panels. Moulded ceiling borders, some reeded with square rosettes and some leaf scroll. Basket-arched sideboard alcove with reeded pilasters and arch to NE front room. Mid to later C19 grey marble fire place surround with carved consoles.
Included as a substantial late Georgian town house with complete surviving interiors in the best Georgian street in Carmarthen.
Other nearby listed buildings