This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8563 / 51°51'22"N
Longitude: -4.3056 / 4°18'20"W
OS Eastings: 241316
OS Northings: 220039
OS Grid: SN413200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T8P2
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.BL5T
Entry Name: The Queen's Hotel
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9571
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated approximately 5m E of junction with King Street, adjoining the Cloth Hall.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Public house, rebuilt in 1865 but possibly including earlier work, as street was built up on 1834 map. In existence by 1850 when J.L. Collard, architect, was living at the Queen's Hotel, possibly there was a family connection as the landlord in 1884 was C.O. Collard. The present building was remodelled in 1865 to incorporate the adjoining Lamb & Flag inn, demolished to widen the street, with a new frontage built across both properties. The present No 11 and the houses beyond are still to the old street line, only No 10 and the Cloth Hall to left are set back.
Inn in irregular terraced row, painted stucco, slate roof with deep bracketed eaves and stuccoed stack at left end. Three storeys and cellar, 4-window range, upper floors with segmentally headed window openings, on second floor with sliding casements and first floor with 4-pane sashes. Ground floor has 2 flat-headed 4-pane sashes aligned with windows above in first 2 bays, then unaligned flat-headed doorway (in 1981 paired with another door which was blocked) and finally large shop-window. Five-panel door, the top 2 rounded, with overlight marked 'The Queen's Hotel'. Metal double doors to cellar set into the pavement either side. Stucco quoins to upper floors at right, thin string course under first floor, over wooden fascia. Raised plinth.
Ground floor remodelled in C20.
Included as a C19 3-storey commercial building with surviving external detail in an important site at the centre of the town.
Other nearby listed buildings