This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8576 / 51°51'27"N
Longitude: -4.3134 / 4°18'48"W
OS Eastings: 240781
OS Northings: 220199
OS Grid: SN407201
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T0QS
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.6K0T
Entry Name: Former Infants' Wing at Model School
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9576
Building Class: Education
Location: Situated at Llys Model, former school, accessed between Nos 39 and 40 and attached to SE corner of main building.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Former infants schoolroom probably of 1856-7 at the Model School. The Model School was built in 1847-8 to designs probably by Henry Clutton. The purpose of the model or practicing schools was to give practical experience to the trainee teachers at the training college (Trinity College) then being built to Clutton's design. When the school was opened W. P. James, contractor for Trinity College, was named as the architect and contractor. The school was opened in 1849 and a girl's model school opened in 1851. There are plans by Clutton for a classroom to the rear in 1856, presumably the Infants School is of similar date as it opened in 1857, but it is shown on an undated plan before the other classroom was added.
In a directory of 1871 the model school was described as a group of 3 national schools for 600 children, from a design by Mr Clutton. Altered after a fire c1956. Converted to flats for the elderly in 1989.
Single storey former Infants wing, Gothic style, in squared rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Steep slate roof with coped gables. W side has 2 4-light mullion flanking central large lateral chimney. Windows have cusped heads to lights and timber casements. The external chimney-breast has 3 shouldered steps and top part is inset (possibly rebuilt). Two C20 roof lights left of stack. Buttress at right corner. Link wall with door at left corner.
Each gable end has small trefoil opening to gable apex and 2-light pointed window with quatrefoil head. E side is altered with 2 widely-spaced single-pane lights, flat-headed, with plastic glazing. Three C20 skylights in roof.
Not inspected. Extensively altered during conversion in 1989.
Included, notwithstanding alterations, as part of a Victorian Gothic school group of good Victorian gothic character, and of historical interest as part of the early history of formal teacher-training.
Other nearby listed buildings