This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8558 / 51°51'21"N
Longitude: -4.3069 / 4°18'24"W
OS Eastings: 241225
OS Northings: 219988
OS Grid: SN412199
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T8CC
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.9MH5
Entry Name: Saint Mary's Auction House
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9586
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated the second house up from junction with Quay Street.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Terraced house probably later C18, altered in C19. Shown on 1834 map. In 1875 the offices of the Carmarthen Times published by John Evans. Auction room added to rear in 1899.
Mid terrace town house and business premises in painted roughcast with slate roof and red brick stacks. Three storeys and cellar, 3-window range. Late C19 or early C20 shop-front. Central deeply recessed paired doors with glazed upper panels and large rectangular overlight, flanked by canted plate glass panes between 2 large plate glass shop-windows with wide timber sills with thin turned shafts to angles. Two cast iron columns within support concealed lintel. Beneath are C20 cellar vents. Casing of shopfront has fluted pilasters each side, fascia, and modillion cornice. First floor has cambered-headed 12-pane hornless timber sashes, also with cambered heads. Painted slate sills. Raised stucco band between floors. Upper floor has cambered heads to panes of top sash, but flat heads under eaves. Hornless small-paned sashes and painted slate sills. Painted renewed eaves cornice with small modillions. Cast iron rainwater goods above.
The C18 staircase between first and second floor listed in 1981 was removed c1993, but some panelled doors remain. Late C19 stair on backwall corner, dog-leg with turned balusters and newels with ball finials. Two late C19 iron columns in shop-window by T. Jones Priory Foundry Carmarthen.
Rear auction-room has continuous cast-iron rail fronting 3-sided gallery with decorative bowed front and cast-iron brackets with circle motif on brick piers. Dated 1899. The gallery ironwork to a neo-rococo pattern resembles that of Tabernacle Chapel, Waterloo Terrace. End has similar balustrade possibly reset in C20. Roof has 4 trusses with iron tie, diagonal struts and central rod.
Included as a Georgian terraced house with high-quality shop-front and rear galleried auction room of 1899.
Other nearby listed buildings