History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nos.3 & 4 St.mary's Street,,,,,dyfed,

A Grade II Listed Building in Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8558 / 51°51'20"N

Longitude: -4.3067 / 4°18'24"W

OS Eastings: 241234

OS Northings: 219985

OS Grid: SN412199

Mapcode National: GBR DG.T8DG

Mapcode Global: VH3LH.9MK6

Entry Name: Nos.3 & 4 St.mary's Street,,,,,dyfed,

Listing Date: 19 May 1981

Last Amended: 28 November 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 9587

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated paried with No 4 some 10m E of junction with Quay Street.

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Carmarthen

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Carmarthen

History

House said to be dated DM 1830 on a roof truss, built as a pair with No 4, marked on 1834 map. The site of Nos 3-4 was that of the 'Nagg's Head' inn, recorded in 1573, and where Cromwell was said to have stayed in 1649. Rebuilt as the town house of the Williams family of Edwinsford, but mostly tenanted. No 3 was occupied by Francis Green, attorney, whose son, also Francis Green, the antiquarian, was born here in 1853. Restored externally in late C20, in domestic use 2002 but still interconnected with No 4.

Exterior

Terraced town house with unpainted stucco frontage, modillion eaves cornice and hornless sashes. Slate gabled roof with red brick stack. Part of an unusual 3-storey and basement pair with 3-bay upper floors and 5 bay ground floor. Hornless sashes 9-pane to upper floor, 12-pane to main floors. The 2 doorways are aligned with the outer windows of the upper floors, the ground floor having an additional outer window each side giving an alternating arrangement of 3 windows and 2 doors. Renewed 6-panel doors with fanlights and radial glazing bars in renewed open-pedimented doorcases with pilasters, plinths, and console brackets. Windows have stone sills. Basement openings beneath outer windows, behind late C20 replacement iron railings.

Interior

Door opens into hall with reeded borders to 2 ceilings, inner door with fanlight between. Room to right with panelled shutters. Panelled door to left into centre room (part of No 4). Staircase at right angles to rear has stick balusters, continuous moulded rail and scrolled tread ends. Six-panel doors with planted mouldings in panels. Arched window between front room and stairs with coloured glass margins.

Reasons for Listing

Included with No 4 as a good C19 town house pair, retaining original features including staircase in No 3.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.