This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8559 / 51°51'21"N
Longitude: -4.3046 / 4°18'16"W
OS Eastings: 241385
OS Northings: 219992
OS Grid: SN413199
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T8XW
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.BMQ3
Entry Name: Castle Hill House
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9592
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on junction with Castle Hill.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
House dated 1815 on a rainwater head, probably to design by David Morgan, marked on 1834 map. In 1850, it was advertised to let, described as thoroughly renovated recently and occupied by Mrs T Morris. There was a doctor's surgery here in the early to mid C20, JP. In 2002 county council offices.
Spilman Street was opened up to the new gaol entry in the 1790s and Castle Hill laid out as a road c1804 aligned on The Mount (18 Queen Street) which became the Lion Royal Hotel. This house was part of the reconstruction of the area.
Town house in unpainted stucco with hipped slate roof, bracketed eaves and very long rendered central stack without chimney pots. Two-storey, 3-window front with large 16-pane sashes and concrete sills. Six-panel door with 4 fielded panels and plain fanlight in panelled arched opening, with fluted thin impost band. Added glazed porch has roughcast base with glazing above between timber angle pilasters and cornice over. Four-panel door. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Right side, to Castle Hill, has fine lead fluted rainwater head to left dated 1815, with bunch of grapes, no first floor fenestration and ground floor tall plinth. To left is 3-sided rectangular bay with 16-pane window to front and narrow 4-pane sides. To right is 16-pane sash. Similar bracketed eaves.
Rear is taller, 2-storey and basement, 3-window range, with cambered-headed doorway to basement left of centre. Outer bays to ground and first floor have 16-pane sashes and centre has tall arched-headed stair-light with radial glazing bars to head and small panes.
Reeded cornices to ground and first floors. Six-panelled doors. Fluted pilasters to hall arches. Hall has cornice with scroll brackets. Early C19 staircase with stick balusters, scrolled tread ends and ramped continuous handrail curved around open well. Front rooms have moulded cornices, room to right has reeded ceiling border with rosettes. Rear right room has plain cornice and 2 6-panel cupboard doors.
Fireplaces removed. Stick balusters to plainer basement stair. Basement has slate flags, meat-hooks and cast-iron range to former scullery. Wine and coal cellars with cobbled floors. Attic stair also C19.
Included as a substantial town house, dated, and of solid late-Georgian character and with some good internal features.
Other nearby listed buildings