This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8569 / 51°51'24"N
Longitude: -4.3034 / 4°18'12"W
OS Eastings: 241466
OS Northings: 220099
OS Grid: SN414200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T96L
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.CL9C
Entry Name: Napier House
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9599
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 35m SW of Parade Road set back from street line.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Early C19 town house, possibly built as early as 1807 for the Cawdor estate, leased to Dr Lawrence, who died here in 1839, marked on 1834 map. Named for Lady Napier, a later occupant. From 1889 to c1899, a Masonic Lodge, in 1926 occupied by T.H. Pickard, inspector of taxes, and in 2001 occupied by the Carmarthen Civil Service Sports Club and Llewellyn Humphreys, chartered surveyors.
The house was presumably originally stuccoed. The arched recesses are echoed on No 14, that may have been linked, and the hipped roofs on Nos 12 and 14 suggest flanking buildings to a formal forecourt.
Tall town house in squared rubble and red brick with pyramidal slate roof and yellow brick flanking stacks. Three-storey 2-window range. Rubble stone front has 2 full-height recesses with recessed walling in red brick and red brick arched heads. First floor has long 12-pane sashes with cambered brick heads and slate sills. Upper floor has 6-pane sashes with segmentally arched heads following line of arch of recess. Ground floor has large tripartite sash window to right of 4-12-4 panes in reeded frame. To left is doorway with arched head and reeded frame, 9-panel door of moulded and flush panels and radiating-bar fanlight. C20 arched glass and timber porch with open front. Painted stone plinth.
Early C19 staircase with open scrolled string and straight balusters. Entrance hall doorway with reeded architrave and 9-panelled doors, with similar doorways to first floor landing. Fireplaces have similar reeded architraves and plain mantle shelves.
Included as an unusually architectural late Georgian town house with good surviving interior and exterior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings