This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8568 / 51°51'24"N
Longitude: -4.3041 / 4°18'14"W
OS Eastings: 241417
OS Northings: 220089
OS Grid: SN414200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T914
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.BLYF
Entry Name: The Spilman Hotel
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9604
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated immediately E of Masonic Hall.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Substantial town house of earlier C19. Marked on Wood''''s 1834 map of Carmarthen as the Post Office. Said to have been occupied by surgeons for 150 years, in 1884 by Dr John Hughes, medical officer of health for the county, and in 1926 by Dr E.R. Williams MBE, medical officer to Carmarthen Prison and the Great Western Railway. Restored since 1981.
Mid-terrace house in painted stucco with slate bracketed eaves roof and large mid to later C19 yellow brick end stacks. Three-storey, 3-window symmetrical front with tripartite plate glass sashes to outer bays and single plate-glass sashes to each floor of centre over arched door. Cellar lights beneath ground floor windows. Doorway has C20 neo-Georgian timber doorcase with columns and open-pediment hood with modillions. C20 6-panel door and fanlight with radial glazing bars. Windows are shorter to upper storey. Painted stone sills.
Rear wall has roof carried down over stair projection and sash windows.
Panelled soffit to entrance door arch. Entrance lobby has ceiling with enriched undercut border and lozenge panel with roundel and rose, the ceiling cut by an internal wall with possibly reset arched doorway with traceried overlight. Staircase with stick balusters, small column newels and scrolled tread ends, rising in 3 flights. Undercut plaster ceiling borders under landings. Fielded panelled door in 6 panels to right room which has cornice with fluted consoles and undercut moulding above. Undercut mouldings to segmental hall arch with pilasters, infilled. Left room has undercut mouldings to ceiling border. Fielded panelled shutters. Cellar.
Included as a substantial early C19 town house with good surviving interior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings