This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.855 / 51°51'18"N
Longitude: -4.3093 / 4°18'33"W
OS Eastings: 241054
OS Northings: 219905
OS Grid: SN410199
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T7RQ
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.8M6S
Entry Name: Nos.1-5 (Consec) Spring Gardens,,,,,dyfed,
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9607
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated between Mill Street and A40 backing onto Friars Park supermarket site.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
One of a row of 4 houses probably late C18, marked on 1786 map, altered in C19 when end house was converted into 2, and interiors wholly renewed since 1981 listing. There were in 1981 surviving C18 staircases in Nos 1 and 3 (and possibly No 2) with similarities to those in No 2 Nott Square, the Kings Arms in Priory St, and No 33 Quay Street, No 1 had fielded 6-panel doors, there were also front gardens with iron rails on dwarf stone walls with c1900 iron gates made by William Isaac, all removed by 2002.
Buildings marked on site on 1834 map when Mill Street was marked as Dame Street.
End-terrace house of former row of 4, now flats. Each house was either rendered or of whitewashed rubble with slate gabled roof and end stacks, 2 storey and attic with basement, 3-window range with centre door, but the fourth was altered in C19 to 2, Nos 4 and 5, with loss of centre window and door. Originally there were small-paned 12-pane sash windows and thin sill-courses.
No 1 was in 1981 of whitewashed rubble, now roughcast, and had glazing bars to one window only. In 2002 all windows are 12-pane sashes, the right end stack is missing and there is a later C20 half-glazed timber door (4-panel in 1981) with overlight and narrow glazed panel to left. The first floor sill band is broken for first floor sills. Three flush velux lights, evenly-spaced to roof. Single storey projecting C20 extension to right in roughcast with slate roof has half-glazed timber door and casement window. Whitewashed rubble stone rear elevation.
Interior wholly altered with new stair. Formerly described as having exposed ceiling joists to ground floor, C18 stair, and 6-panel doors with fielded panels.
Included despite alterations as part of a C18 terrace.
Other nearby listed buildings