This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8571 / 51°51'25"N
Longitude: -4.3119 / 4°18'42"W
OS Eastings: 240886
OS Northings: 220135
OS Grid: SN408201
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T14B
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.6LV7
Entry Name: Capel Heol Dwr
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9616
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated set back from road some 60m SE of junction with St Catherine Street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Calvinistic Methodist chapel of 1831 renovated in 1891-2 with addition of 1922. The cause began in the 1740s, led by Peter Williams (1723-96) who produced the first bible printed in Wales. The congregation were meeting by the 1760s in Williams' house in Water Street, where Howel Harris preached in 1768. In 1771 a chapel was built behind the house. Another chapel was built in 1813 and 1831, the interior illustrated in an engraving c1831 by Hugh Hughes, possibly the earliest of a Welsh chapel interior. This shows panelled galleries, perhaps those still existing and high pulpit that may be the present one, cut down. The house was demolished in 1833. Renovated in 1891-2 by John Morgan, the borough surveyor, including new stucco front and a new ceiling. Organ chamber of 1922 by JH Morgan.
Chapel, with lateral front in painted stucco with slate gabled roof, moulded eaves and late C19 copper ventilator on ridge. Symmetrical wide 2-storey front with canted central 3-sided projection added in 1922 as organ chamber with hipped slate roof below main eaves. Projection is channelled beneath string course level with door-heads, plain stucco above with string course under bracketed eaves. Large rectangular plaque to first floor centre: Rhyfel 1914-1918 Organ ac Ystafell Goffadwriaethol I'n Milwr a'n Morwyr 1922. To each side are pedimented porches on 2 Tuscan columns with entablature and pediment. Semi-elliptical heads to doorways with traceried fanlights and panelled doors. Channelled rustication to above mid height of façade, with string courses at door-head level and above, the latter broken by lower sides of 2 large arched windows. Two-light late C19 Florentine tracery with roundel in heads, moulded stucco surrounds stepped out at base over painted sills with small corbels. Small keystones above. Plain stucco walling above string course up to eaves with oval plaque each side of central bay. Plaque to left inscribed "Capel Heol y Dwr Methodistiaid Calfinaidd Adeiladwyd 1771". Plaque to right, "Ailadeiladwyd 1813. Atgyweiriwyd 1891". Monuments attached to front wall from 1830s.
Large interior with pulpit on front wall. Gallery of 1831, 5-sided with alternating broad and narrow timber panels, supported on iron Corinthian columns, at least one re-used and dated ''1813''. Box pews radiated to mimic gallery pattern and raked up at back and sides. Earlier C19 pulpit of panelled mahogany with a splayed fluted pedestal and concave corners. Two fine flights of curving stairs up. Behind pulpit is very large organ of 1922 with panelled base and large pipe racks in big arched recess with ornate plaster moulding on corbels around arch. Boarded and ribbed ceiling of 1891 with huge plaster rose in rectangular plaster panel, and plaster border. Above entrance doors are small roundels depicting crucifix and dove, probably 1831. Façade windows of 1892 by Farmiloe &Sons with lilies and roses of Sharon and bilingual text. Monuments: Rev. David Charles (d.1834) Grecian with urn finial, by Daniel Wainwaring; John Wyndham Lewis (d 1895), matching the Charles monument, signed by W Davies.
Included at grade II* for its special architectural and historic interest as incorporating an earlier C19 chapel that retains its original form and arrangement virtually intact, including a fine gallery of c1831, and a rare early pulpit.
Other nearby listed buildings