This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7704 / 51°46'13"N
Longitude: -4.4622 / 4°27'44"W
OS Eastings: 230206
OS Northings: 210838
OS Grid: SN302108
Mapcode National: GBR D7.ZRTN
Mapcode Global: VH3LS.LRVP
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 3 December 1951
Last Amended: 25 September 1986
Source ID: 9659
Building Class: Civil
Location: Forward to the street at the junction with Wogan Street, close to the castle; Market Lane to rear.
Community: Laugharne Township
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Dates from 1747 although an earlier Town Hall existed; much altered and extended. Clock tower to S of 2-storey, 2-window Town/Market Hall, low lean-to goal extension of 1774 to S and adjoining porch of 1910 to SE; much restored market lean-to at rear.
Whitewashed rubble tower and gaol, rendered hall and porch, plinth and rusticated quoins. Slate roofs, pyranidal to tower, hipped to goal and hall (N end); gabled porch with bargeboards and finial. Bellcote (originally with bell by Abraham Rudhall) and weathercock added to tower in 1786. Clock faces below cornices to N and S set in freestone surrounds with hood moulds and keystones dated 1896 (although a contract of 1891 agreed upon the renewal of "the clock tower and turret" by M Williams and J Jones, cost £30). Recessed Gothick sash windows of 1814 with cills over segmental openings with voussoir lintels formerly leading to market closed by iron railings, similar detail to 1 window N end. 2 plain sash windows to SE over arched hooded porch.
Interior retains court room to 1st floor; timber dais with ornate iron bracketed lamps from which the Portreeve conducts the meetings of Laugharne Corporation (unique in Wales in retaining this form of local government). Regency fireplace to E wall. At one time held a school and the Public Library.
Graded II* for townscape importance.
Other nearby listed buildings