This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7693 / 51°46'9"N
Longitude: -4.4629 / 4°27'46"W
OS Eastings: 230156
OS Northings: 210716
OS Grid: SN301107
Mapcode National: GBR D7.ZRNL
Mapcode Global: VH3LS.LSHJ
Entry Name: Boundry Wall to Island House
Listing Date: 25 September 1986
Last Amended: 25 September 1986
Source ID: 9672
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Continuous wall forming an almost square enclosure to the N corner of which lies Island House with its adjoining garage.
Community: Laugharne Township
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The origins of the wall date back to the time when this was an island site; early to mid C19 reconstruction and later alterations. Rubble part rendered.
High wall runs SW towards the grist from front gable ended cross range forward to the street (top courses bonded in); slate coping/roof and brick chimney stack. Turns SE and runs along NE side of the Grist; modern opening to modern house (not of special interest). Curves BE towards the castle stepping down in front of the modern house and up again at the end of Island House garden; this section of the two builds and the inner side has a plaque reading "This wall was rebuilt by Maryabra Hughes Skyrme AD 1837". Base of cylindrical tower at NE corner converted early C19 to a gazebo (now in poor condition). Turns NW along the River Coran to rubble 2-storey structure with corrugated roof adjoining the ornamental gothic gate tower to Island House. Now a garage but said to have formerly contained living accommodation. Pendant retained to gable end; freestone quoins and brick surrounds to NE side windows.
Other nearby listed buildings