This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8338 / 51°50'1"N
Longitude: -4.6905 / 4°41'25"W
OS Eastings: 214721
OS Northings: 218439
OS Grid: SN147184
Mapcode National: GBR CY.VP70
Mapcode Global: VH2P0.N56L
Entry Name: Glanrhyd House
Listing Date: 21 March 1980
Last Amended: 10 February 2004
Source ID: 9729
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 1km SSW of Llanfallteg West, reached by private drive on the W side of a minor road between Llanddewi Velfrey and Llanfallteg.
Community: Clynderwen (Clunderwen)
Locality: Castell Dwyran
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Probably built by Evan Griffith in the 1770s, contemporary with the adjacent dated 'office' and other outbuildings. Griffiths (d 1796) was Sheriff of Carmarthenshire. The SE wing was a later addition, but is shown on the 1837 Tithe map.
A Georgian 2½-storey house of coursed rubble, asbestos-slate roof on brick sawtooth eaves (cf Llandre-Egremont, Clynderwen, of 1788), with inserted skylights, and freestone end stacks, larger to the L. The 2-window main range has openings to the front under keyed flat arches. It has a central replaced door and 4-pane horned sashes replaced in original openings. Set back against the L gable end is a lower 2-storey SW service wing in line. It has 4-pane horned sashes replaced in original openings, with keyed flat arch in the lower storey and beneath the eaves in the upper storey. Above this wing is a replaced attic window in the L gable end of the main range.
Forward from the R side of the front is the slightly lower half-hipped SE wing, of rendered walls, asbestos-slate roof and freestone end stacks. Facing the front of the house it has a 4-pane sash window replaced in an original opening, and 2 replaced windows further R and a replaced stair window to the centre. The SE end wall is slate-hung in the upper storey. The rear (NE) of the wing is 3-window with renewed 4-pane sashes and central boarded door, all in original openings. The 2-window R gable end of the main range has replaced 4-pane sashes and an attic window, continuous with which is the gable end of a rear outshut, with a single renewed window. The rear of the main range has 3 inserted or enlarged windows, the central of which was formerly a doorway.
Much altered interior, but retaining a large fireplace in the kitchen of the main range, with timber lintel. The main range has a 6-bay collar-beam roof.
Listed for its architectural interest as an C18 house retaining early character, and as part of a strong group of C18 house and outbuildings at Glanrhyd.
Other nearby listed buildings